Saturday, June 28, 2008

Xi'an to Beijing - the last train ride!

17/4/08
Whitney's alarm went off at 6.30am but she didn't move till after 7am. Had to be downstairs and checked out by 8am then off to the terracotta warriors. First we visited a factory where they make replicas and brought two 'laughing' warriors. After that we went to the actual pits where they are buried. There was two massive pits and one smaller pit. It was what I imagined, perhaps a bit bigger. There must be heaps more underground yet to be discovered. I spent most of my time taking photos. Watched a movie about the story behind the warriors. I cant understand how a nation that documents everything so well, didn't record this and lost them in history (???). 1 1/2 hour trip back to Xi'an then free time till 4.30pm so went to Starbucks, brought another book and went to a supermarket to get snacks for the train. It started raining on the way back to the YMCA. Caught a bus to the train station to catch the 'express' train to Beijing. We departed from the VIP lounge which meant we weren't stampeded by the masses who weren't far behind us. Sat round on the train talking. A elderly Chinese lady on the train thought that I was 22 and very pretty. Had to kick another woman off my bed when I finally wanted to go to bed. I think she was upset with me because she was on a middle bunk and she wanted a bottom bunk. NO SALE!